Wednesday 15 July 2009

Greece!

As I have mentioned below - it has recently been Darren's birthday. So, I decided that the best place to take a history buff to celebrate was probably Athens. We had a fabulous time in the 30 degree heat looking at all the history which Athens had to offer. It was amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone.



As well as the obvious - Acropolis, Agora, Plaka etc - we decided to go on a day trip to Delphi. I am so glad that we did. I think both D and I found this to be the absolute highlight of the trip. Whilst we were only away for the weekend (well, a long weekend at four day!) and this took us out of Athens, it truly was worth it.


What a view! This shows the Temple of Apollo at the centre of the site - with views over the stunning valley created by Mount Parnassus. It was like being in a dream - the site still retains it's ethereal feeling and solemnity. I know it's Wikipedia, but a good summary can be found here.

Darren and I loved Greece so much - we will definitely be back to Athens. It's such a fabulous place (and the food is AMAZING). Next time though we are thinking of a cruise through the Greek islands to trace the steps of our favourite mythological heroes...

No comments:

Post a Comment