Friday 29 May 2009

A week??

No way.

It cannot have been a week ago that I last posted on this blog? Well. I need to deal with it - because it was. I am shocked. So many things have happened over the last week - where do I begin??

Last weekend was a bank holiday weekend here in the UK. That meant that it was supposed to be a long weekend of doing nothing: chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool etc. Not necessarily how it turned out, I'm afraid.

Still, without giving too much away, here is a synopsis of my bank holiday:

(1) FRIDAY

Friday night was a right off for me, as I sat for 3.5hrs in a traffic jam. 18 miles of tailbacks on the M4 due to a car and a caravan going down an embankment. Brilliant. Needless to say, that didn't put me in the best of moods!

I must admit to not being quite this bad, but I do HATE traffic jams. I would prefer to gouge out my eyeballs with spoons (way to make a Robin Hood Prince of Thieves reference! Woo!).

(2) SATURDAY

On Saturday, D and I went into Cabot Circus (a new shopping development in Bristol). I think we simply wanted to have a bit of a stroll, I certainly didn't purchase anything (which was a good idea, given the debt levels!).

We stopped off in M&S and got some yummy food in. So we decided that we'd cook and just stayed in watching films. It was nice just to be doing nothing. In fact, I don't even remember what film we watched!! It didn't have zombies in though. Which was good.
(3) SUNDAY

Sunday involved a visit to the beautiful Tyntesfield House, which is on the outskirts of Bristol. It is a National Trust property (makes me SOOOO glad for the membership - I know, I know) which is currently being renovated. I was, admittedly, a little gutted that the place was covered in scaffolding and that there are parts you cannot visit - but the place is so pretty and charming that I soon forgave the interruption. It was actually rather nice to see the place so run down - it will certainly be worth another look once the renovations are complete.

D and I had a lovely picnic on the rather fine lawn, which was lovely. We are becoming picnicking fans - which I guess is a little sad. Still, as someone who will hit the ripe old age of 30 next year, I suppose it's time to start acting my age.

(4) MONDAY

The Apprentice!!!!

So, Bean and I got to the studios only to be told that we were in the reserve list, as the audience was already full. However, there were some guest list seats which could be freed up. So, we waited about 30 minutes - nervously counting all the people that went in before us and hoping that we would be allowed in.

The minutes passed, we patiently waited (in the rain) and sure enough - we were in!! What an experience! For those of you who have never been in a studio audience, I would urge you to try. Everything looks bigger on television - and everything seems quite far away. There are huge cameras (obviously) and microphones everywhere. A boom camera occasionally sweeps in front of you. The recording is stopped every so often, maybe because a lapel mike has moved or a light is blinking. It is all very surreal.

Anyway, the format of the experience was this. Firstly, they played the programme which would go out later that week. In this instance, it was the TV Shopping Episode. Candidates had to appear on a shopping channel, at prime-time, and sell goods picked for them by another member of their team. they also had to try their hands at production. Whichever team sold the most, won.

To cut a long story short - the team of Howard, Kate and Lorraine lost. Having watched the episode, we were all sure that Lorraine would go. In fact, when Sir Alan made his decision - there was an actual pantomime **GASP** from the audience. No-one there had predicted that Howard would be fired!

So, after the episode was shown, Adrian Chiles came onto the set (to a lot of applause). He was joined by a lady who owned a shopping channel, Rufus something or other (Bean likes him) and, wait for it... MARGARET MOUNTFORD. None other!!!!!! THE ACTUAL MARGARET. Needless to say, I was quite excited as I think she's fantastic!!

Watching the live recording was a lot of fun - the panel were hilarious and Howard was just lovely. He's a great guy, but far too nice to have won the Apprentice. There has to be a bit of bad behaviour and ego - and he just didn't come across like that. Bye Howard!!

I would just love to be on the Apprentice next season - but I think that D would lose all respect for me and also that I would easily be voted off on week one (the lawyers always are). However, I just would love the experience and the tasks are great. But I think I'll do everyone a favour and stick to the day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment